Why is research important in psychology? Psychology is a very important and old science. Human mind has always been a kind of riddle to solve. Old scholars were interested to learn more about what’s inside our heads, and these were the very beginnings of this amazing scientific field. People who are interested to study psychology should know that they are expected to be reliable, thorough, extremely educated and experienced. However, they are also expected to have some personal qualities, like being compassionate, objective, sensible, systematic and trust worthy. They must know how to analyze things, in the first place. Being systematic means that you have to see the causes and treat them, instead of just treating the symptoms.
A good psychologist will try to find out more about the very essence of your problem. In fact, the only way to solve any problem is to find out where it comes from.
Research work is very important for psychology, because this science deals with phenomena that are related to the most mysterious thing – human mind. There are always some new things to be discovered. This is why new researches are done all the time.
Why Is Research Important in Psychology?
• There are many different types of psychology. There are cognitive psychology, behavioral psychology, personality studies, developmental studies, social psychology, etc. All these fields use research work to improve themselves. As we said, there is always something new to be learnt about human mind and human behavior. If we could understand causes, we would be able to explain various types of human behavior, including criminal actions, violent behavior, etc. We would be able to recognize some mental problems in people, and perhaps we would be able to prevent serious problems that can result from such mental conditions.
• Any kind of research always includes experimental work. This type of research is quite complex and it includes many steps. These steps are connected with each other, and you have to know exactly what you have to do, because one mistake can lead to other mistakes.
• Variables are changeable values. These are used in experiments.
• Validity is another very important factor in any type of psychological research. You have to know how to measure it, of course.
• The same can be said for reliability. This is an important part of any psychological research.
• Forming a hypothesis is one of the first steps in any type of research. This will be your guide.
• Next, you will have to collect relevant data. You will use some parameters to determine which type of data is relevant for your research.
• Research is important because it can lead to new findings. Research can confirm the previous results, which is equally important in psychology. The connection between certain factors and behavior should be studied several times, in order to conclude something, so this is exactly why research is essential. New research can change some generally accepted rules in any science. Curiosity is what makes a good scientist, so research work is necessary.