Who invented tennis game? If you love this sport, you will be interested to find out how it came to existence. This story is not very simple. Many different theories can be found when it comes to the invention of tennis. It is very difficult to pick just one name or just one country, because many people had their contribution to invention of this sport. Different variants of this game could be seen in different parts of the world. Today, everyone has heard about tennis and it is played in the same way in all parts of our planet. Now, let us learn more about the history of this interesting sport.
Who Invented Tennis?
• The game, as we know it today, was invented by two men: Augurio Perera and Harry Gen, during the nineteenth century. It was actually created as a combination of two games known as “pelota” and “racquets”. By combining these two games, ‘lawn tennis’ was created. Therefore, we can say that these two men were the inventors of tennis, as we know it today.
• In 1873, another variant of the game appeared. It was played on the enclosed courts, using racquets and low-pressure balls. The rules of this game were patented one year later by Mr. Wingfield.
• The word “tennis” comes from French. The word “racquet” actually comes from Arabic, meaning “palm”. According to some researches, several variants of tennis existed in ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt. This is why it is so hard to tell who invented the game first. In the twelfth century, French monks used to play a game similar to volleyball, but it had some elements of tennis.
• Tennis became popular in very short time. Both indoor courts and outdoor courts have been used, just like today. The first tennis balls were made of wool, and similar materials.
• Now, what about tennis balls? Tennis balls used to be made of various materials, mostly wool and similar stuff. The first modern tennis balls were made of rubber in the nineteenth century.
• Today, tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world. Many kids love playing tennis, hoping to become professionals. Adults play tennis as well, because it is very good for weight loss and staying in shape.
• Some tennis players are famous and they earn incredibly large amounts of money. However, earning money should not be the only motive for starting with any sport. Tennis requires talent, hard work and passion. In fact, this can be said for any sport, or any other career. If you do not love what you do, you will do nothing. All sports require a lot of hard work and discipline. There will be many restrictions regarding other activities and leisure time, but this hard work will certainly be rewarded. Tennis was invented simply for fun, but today this sport is one of the most popular sports in the world. It is also commercialized and it brings a lot of money.