Who invented Coca Cola and in what year? Many of us love Coca Cola, but what do we actually know about it? Can you define Coca Cola? We will try to tell you more about this famous drink. Coca Cola is a soft, carbonated drink that you can buy anywhere. We really meant it. Wherever you go, you will be able to find Coca Cola and buy it. This enormous success is achieved thanks to several factors. When was Coca Cola invented? Coca Cola was invented in the second half of the 19th century, by Mr. John Pemberton. He was the inventor, but Mr. Griggs Candler was the man who bought it out and organized great marketing activities that made this drink so famous. Today, Coca Cola Company sells many other drinks, but Coke is still number one in the world. Some of these drinks are Coca-Cola Zero, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Vanilla, Coca-Cola Cherry, and many more.
The Invention of Coca Cola
• It was 1886 when John Pemberton developed Coca Cola formula. The Prohibition was in force, so he wanted to make a non-alcoholic drink that would be equally good as other prohibited drinks. And he succeeded.
• Coca Cola was first sold in pharmacies. It was actually a medicine! That was the time when people believed that carbonated drinks were good for their overall health. Coca Cola was sold for health reasons. One glass was sold for 5 cents. It was believed to cure impotence, headaches, dyspepsia, and some types of addictions, like morphine addiction. Two years later, Coca Cola came to the market as a soft drink for everyone to enjoy. John Pemberton sold his rights to several businesspersons: E.H. Bloodworth, A.O. Murphey, J.C. Mayfield and C.O. Mullahy. Pemberton’s son Charley kept the right to the name “Coca Cola”, but the formula was no longer theirs. The formula was used for production of drinks that were sold under different names.
• John Pemberton was a pharmacist, who lived in Atlanta. He made a living from making medicines and syrups. 1886 was the year that changed this man’s life. That was the year he created Coca Cola. He wanted to find a universal cure for several illnesses. As we said, Coca Cola was firs sold as a medicine. No one could even imagine how famous this ‘medicine’ would become!
• Even today, we love it. Some celebrities promoted Coca Cola, like Thomas Edison. Did you know that?
Why Is It Called Coca Cola?
• The drink was named after two basic ingredients: leaves of Coca and Kola nuts. This is the name that probably the whole world knows about. However, Coca Cola recipe is still unknown and remains a well-kept secret.