If you are having problems with annoying gnats, here is some advice on how to get rid of gnats in the house. First, you must be sure that these really are gnats. You will be able to tell if you catch one and take a good look at it. They look pretty much like flies, but they are smaller. They are also called fruit flies. This name is actually quite appropriate, since gnats are attracted to fruits, but also to other foods. They inhabit your kitchen, but other rooms, too –as long as they can find the food there. They breed in dirty and wet places, so your drain is probably the perfect place for gnats to breed. They reproduce fast, so you need to stop them in time.
Most of us feel relieved when we hear or read that gnats do not live too long, but that mustn’t be taken for granted, since they are capable of reproducing extremely fast and they get numerous before you know it. We are talking about several hundreds of eggs. To prevent it, read some simple steps.
How to Get Rid of Gnats
• To prevent gnats from invading your kitchen, you must know what attracts them in the first place. As we said, they like sugar – all kinds of it – fruit, sweets, but also other types of foods.
• That is why it is very important to remove the foods and fruits from all accessible places. Keep them covered and never leave dirty plates in the kitchen. Keep everything clean.
• Your kitchen sink must also be clean. Gnats are especially attracted to wet places, because they breed there. If your sink is dirty, they will have perfect conditions to breed and soon you will have hundreds of gnats in the house.
• Regular vacuuming will help you in maintaining your house hygiene. If you vacuum the house frequently, you will prevent gnats, since they will not have time to find the food leftovers on your floor.
• If you have kids, they probably eat their snacks in front of TV, at least once a week! Vacuum the floors, to make sure there are no traces of food left.
• Keeping your house clean will most certainly help you. However, there are a few more things to take care of.
A Few Tricks to Get Rid of Gnats
• You can use apple cider vinegar as a trap. Take some vinegar and mix it with detergent. Stir the mixture to get bubbles. You see, gnats will get trapped in these bubbles. Just be patient and remember to leave the trap accessible to gnats (this means overnight, too).