How long does bronchitis last in adults? Bronchitis can be defined as a condition that affects the respiratory system. It is develops when the mucous membranes of the bronchi get inflamed. There are actually two different types of bronchitis: acute type, which lasts several weeks, and chronic, which keeps coming back. We will tell you more about this condition.
What Are the Symptoms of Bronchitis?
● Most of the acute bronchitis symptoms resemble a common cold and include sore throat, runny nose, chills, and fatigue.
● In most cases, acute bronchitis is caused by viruses. It can be caused by bacteria, but these cases are rare.
● Chronic bronchitis symptoms usually include short breath, wheezing and cough that is particularly bad in the morning. Chronic bronchitis can be caused by constant irritation of the bronchi, leading to edema, inflammation and excessive mucus production.
How Long Does Bronchitis Last?
● Chronic bronchitis can occur several times per year. It is usually caused by certain types of inhaled irritants. Smokers can develop this condition, as well as people who live or work in the polluted areas. This type of bronchitis is characterized by cough that is productive and usually lasts for three months (sometimes even longer). This condition can occur several times a year, for two years (at least). According to statistics, this type of bronchitis is more common in women.
● Now, let us say something about bronchitis treatment. In most cases, chronic bronchitis will be treated symptomatically. This means that the inflammation of respiratory epithelium will be treated with corticosteroids, breathing problems will be reduced by using bronchodilators, and the lack of oxygen will be treated with oxygen supplements.
Bronchitis Prevention and Treatment
● There are several ways to prevent chronic bronchitis. You should avoid cigarettes and other air pollutants.
● Acute bronchitis can be treated with medications, but there are also some good home remedies you can use.
– Ginger is considered very effective in treating acute bronchitis. It will reduce the throat inflammation and relieve other symptoms. You can use it together with honey and clove.
– Onion juice is another great home remedy for bronchitis. It is usually taken early in the morning.
– You can use water and salt. This mixture is great for gargling. This should be done two or three times a day.
● This type of bronchitis is rare, but it can occur. It is caused by bacteria. The symptoms usually include sore throat, fever, runny nose, chills, tiredness and productive cough.
● Bacterial bronchitis is usually treated with antibiotics. These medications are very effective. Other medications can be used, too. Fever and cough can be treated by home remedies and/or prescription medications. It is important to complete the treatment with antibiotics and follow your doctor’s instructions.