Error 80048820 is a MSN Messenger error that occurs quite often and makes problems to MSN users. It is also a common error with Windows Live Messenger and many people are probably wondering how to solve this problem.
Let us first describe how Error 80048820 looks like on your screen. You are starting MSN and suddenly you are not able to sign in and there is a message on your screen that says that you are not able to sign in at the moment and you should try again after some time or hit the troubleshoot button.
Causes to Error 80048820 may be various. First, your system clock may not be set properly. Also, this error may occur in case that Internet Explorer uses a proxy server that is invalid. The next possible reason is that DLL (dynamic link library) is not registered. Maybe your Messenger is blocked by security settings. Regardless of the causes, we will try to help you solve the problem. First check if your anti-virus and other security systems are set in such way that your MSN can work with no difficulties. You can even try turning them off, just to see how it goes without them.
– You should double click on your task bar and set the clock and date.
– Than you will have to register dynamic link library using regsvr32.exe.
– Hit Start, then Run, then Control time/date and Enter.
– Try to adjust the Explorer proxy settings and start the Explorer.
– Go to Tools and hit Internet Options, then Connections, then LAN settings.
– Go to automatically detect settings box and clear it, then click OK two times.
– Go to MSN proxy settings and clear the settings.
– Finally, start MSN, and then go to Tools, Options, hit Connection and then Advanced Settings.
– Delete everything you find in SOCKS. Hit OK twice and save these settings.
– Explorer security settings are adjusted in the following way:
Open Explorer, then Tools, Internet Options, and Advanced. Choose Security and make the following adjustments: Check for Server Certificate Revocation – clear the box; choose USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0, then OK and that will close the window.
SSL sec. libraries should be registered. You will hit Start button, then Run and you will have to type every command manually and finally press Enter button. After that, you will get a message: DllRegisterServer Succeded. When you have gotten this message, proceed with further commands.
– REGSVR32 softpub.dll, REGSVR32 wintrust.dll, REGSVR32 initpki.dll, REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll, REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll, REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll, REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll, REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll, REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll, REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll.